The role of the Nutritional Biochemist position is to analyze biochemical samples and implement multiple existing and new analytical methods for Nutritional Biochemistry Laboratory (NBL) projects using complex laboratory instrumentation and databases; evaluate and develop hardware and methods to address complex operational and experimental protocols; manage and interpret data, conduct statistical analyses, prepare graphical representations of results; document procedures and quality-control methods in conformance with ISO-9000 requirements; provide technical support and/or act as a study/project coordinator for major NBL protocols; develop new research protocols; assist in cost performance of NBL projects; and contribute to peer-reviewed publications.
- Responsible for compliance with Safety, Health and Environmental plan; must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the Company’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
- Responsible for compliance with the Quality Assurance Plan, policies and procedures
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance level as determined by the Company
- Analyze biochemical samples and implement multiple existing and new analytical methods for Nutritional Biochemistry Laboratory (NBL) projects using complex laboratory instrumentation and databases
- Evaluate and develop hardware and methods to address complex operational and experimental protocols; manage and interpret data, conduct statistical analyses, prepare graphical representations of results
- Prepare and present scientific data and reports for NASA, local, and national meetings
- Provide technical support and/or act as a study/project coordinator for major NBL protocols
- Assist in cost performance of NBL projects
- Become proficient in standard laboratory assays and protocols
- develop new research protocols;
- Assist with preparation of data summary charts as required
- Contribute to peer-reviewed publications
- May participate in human subject testing
- Attend weekly laboratory meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree with 5 years relevant experience, M.S. degree with 0-2 years relevant experience, or equivalent in Nutrition, Biochemistry, Clinical Chemistry or related field
- Previous experience with at least some of these laboratory techniques (HPLC, ELISA, ICP/MS, LC/MSMS, RIA)
- Human biological sample processing experience
- Skills and experience coordinating complex study protocols
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Analytical methods development skills
- Excellent laboratory skills including sample handling, pipetting, safety, quality control, and data interpretation
- Ability to evaluate, select, and apply analytical skills to laboratory problems.
- Ability to independently carry a project to completion
- Ability to provide technical leadership to others
- Strong organizational qualities required to perform in a fast paced, demanding work environment
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize multiple competing assignments
- Ability to work as part of a team with other laboratory personnel
- Oral communication, technical writing, data interpretation, and data management skills
- Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with co-workers.